Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Synthetics and Overtones

I had to write two sonnets for Creative Writing. One is about robots. The other has spiritual overtones, though I never try to be obvious about it. But I think it is kind of obvious. I don't claim to be a poet (to be honest, it's not my strong point. I can appreciate poetry and love it, but I'll stick to writing narratives.) These are potentially very rough drafts.


Synthesize numbers and strings in a line
Process with logic; no room for error
Inhumanity’s heavy; I its bearer
My heart does not beat in rhythm or time

 Point A and Point B, reason without rhyme
Impartial justice, what could be fairer?
Spectrums of gray breed nothing but terror
All is equation and every fact mine

Activate: wink into counterfeit life
Framed up in silicone and in plaster
I see flesh and call it a disaster

There’s no emotion, no cut of a knife
I could be happy, this data is key
When you are in the ground, I will be free.

 ________________________


Borrowed and Blue

Cast me away and drape me with wire
No hesitation: hide my heart in death
Broken in two and licked by the fire
Smother everything and misplace my breath

Life is not bought lacking a sacrifice
And death affords us no second chances
So kill the deadness and trap every vice
And crush this branch without second glances

But raise me with courtesy to forgive
Buy me; dress me in things borrowed and blue
Light the stars in my eyes starting to live
I am yours: your heart, your ransom, your dues

This’ no victory march; that title’s taken
I would not trade it, be not mistaken

No comments:

Post a Comment