Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Mine


Day One

I don’t recall the events that landed me in this world. I don’t understand why it was me. Perhaps I’d have a better idea as to why if I remembered who I was. But, here I am. The coastal waters lap against the sand in a deceptively peaceful way, but I have the feel I shouldn’t be lulled into complacency. Something is very, very wrong. From the sea and thin strip of white sand, the terrain towers. Mountains, cliffs, peppered and punctuated with flourishing trees. It looked like the perfect vacationing spot.  But I don’t feel like I can stay here. So I walk. Uphill. Before I know it, the walking turns into climbing. The dirt gets packed beneath my nails and sweat forms on my back, my brow. But I don’t stop. No, I only pause once when it looked like the tree just below me moved in a way it shouldn’t have.

It was satisfactory to reach the top, though my lungs stung and my throat went dry. At the peak, it took my breath away anyway. An endless expanse unfurled beyond the horizon, hazed in the furthest of distances. Seas shimmering, mountains and plains and gently sloping hills. Clouds drifted in rolling pulses, the sun winking behind. I found it utterly breathtaking – such a beautiful world! I could not, however, ignore that lack of towns or buildings, or any sign of my kind. Where were the people? Below, sheep milled around in the grasses. No shepherd tending them. I wait in my spot on the mountain top; letting the wind ruffle my hair. It felt like one of those pleasant spring days that left you wishing every day matched it. My stomach growled, rousing me from the enjoyment of my surroundings. I became increasingly aware of my need for the necessities, the ones they also told us about in survival classes. Shelter, water, food. But where could I possibly start? I had no tools and this was not the jungles of South America. There were no banana leaves for roofing. Start small, I suppose.

I picked up a big, flat rock and I started to dig a shelter into the side of my mountain. Dirt would do for now. The sun started to set behind me as I dug. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment